Saturday, May 27, 2006

Where is the love?

Uruguay...the tiny country where people don´t pick up hitchers.

For all of this country´s redeeming factors: small hamburger carts, good dancing, decent prices...amiable drivers is not high on the list.

On day 5, at least I think, I got my first hitch from a Spaniard who works at the embassy here in Uruguay. I had waited hours and hours in different locations trying to hitch over the course of the time there. Even flagging buses in this tiny place was difficult! However, from the Spaniard came at least a little more luck.

Here are some of my hitches in Uruguay, the country where it is just shit-luck to find oneself on a national holiday weekend in the northern stretches of nothingness! This day included 7 hitches of varying lengths andt types.
-2 hours on a COMBINE TRACTOR. We traveled a whopping 40 kilometers, or 24.8 miles!
-the beds of several trucks that went a dizzying 30 kms or so
-a horrifically bumpy several hours with an 18-wheeler, which luckily took my several hundred kms.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home