Friday, May 12, 2006

How to do it

Chile knows how to do some things, i.e., build mountains, place lakes nicely amongst those mountains, stretch unbearable deserts, etc.




But Argentina is much better at cities. They just get it. Mendoza, for instance, is borderline perfect. It has tons of plazas, large trees shading wide streets, beautiful parks when you need something slightly larger than the plazas, and nice people at almost every turn. Buenos Aires also has it down, but I think I´ve mentioned that before.




It was great! The guy just kept ambling back to the fountain, refilling the watering can, and making his way around the gigantic thing in Parque San Martin.
----------



I also hopped onto a soda delivery truck with a family of cousins to shoot pictures for several hours. They were great - showed me around the city, offered me soda, let me take photos, and then dropped me off very close to my hostel. I´d been meaning to ride along with a delivery truck all year in Santiago, but I never got around to it.











--------

After a few nights in Mendoza I was ready to hit the road again and made my way to Difunta Correa. Talk about your weird stories. The town is a shrine and pilgrimage destination in the middle of the desert. This crazy lady, Deolinda Correa tracked across the desert, out of love for her husband, and died of dehydration. Imagine that. But here´s the kicker - her infant child survived several days in the desert thanks to her breast...and was found like that...still living...on her chest. Kind of creepy. Regardless, I camped there and had several boys annoy me to no end. But it was fun.

Oh, and Difunta Correa is where Deolinda Correa is believed to have died. She´s all the rage with the truckers down here. They all stop through - which made hitching easy in the morning.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home