Sunday, November 13, 2005

Anti-Fascist Fire Dancers or Your Standard Recipe for Fun

In light of the last post, I´ll try to keep this short. It was a pretty standard week: classes, blah, blah, etc.

And I can´t procrastinate too much more on a paper that´s due in the morning.

But Friday night was fun. I´ve been wanting to photograph some street performers; Danielle wanted to perform. We combined our efforts. Unfortuately, we got a late start and ended up not finding anyone else.

So Danielle demonstrated fire dancing, specifically "poi" in this situation. This was all made with your standard hardware store and gas station goods (I think they say that about making crystal meth., ecstasy, or some other drug!)- 2 dog leashes, towels wrapped around the end, soaked in kerosene, and ignited!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

The fun just beginning.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Then I realized I could expose it for a long time and it would be crazy! And if any fellow photo majors are looking at this, easy on the criticism...I realize I could have popped a little flash to stop her and probably make a better photo - but I didn´t want to. Or I forgot until later.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

It looks cool but is damn difficult. Danielle gave me a little lesson and I then proceeded to nearly kill/burn/decapitat myself. The sound was awesome between the flying fire balls, and I could pull off a figure-8 like a veteran. Remind me to demonstrate for you sometime in the future.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
---------------------
After poi we found a nice little café/bar and had a drink while playing chess. I hadn´t played in several years but won thanks to Danielle losing her Queen in a stupid move. She was killing me up to that point.

When we get off the bus near our houses we come across about 10 "anti-fascist" teeny-boppers. Las Condes is the poshest area of Santiago and here we find screaming, leather-decked adolescents ripping apart campaign signs. Nothing like rebellious rich kids facing the largest current problem: fascism!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

But they did have awesome hair! I didn´t believe their story that it only takes them 20 minutes to fix the mohawks. Not exactly my regular Friday night.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

----------------------
Although this appears to be more fire antics, it´s a fountain.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home