Tuesday, August 23, 2005

THE SWIRL
Don´t act like you don´t already glance. Perhaps even more than glance. A polite individual makes sure everything is gone before they leave the restroom.
But if you still maintain that you don´t, let this serve as the impetus to give it a try. Once done with the duty, watch the water during the flush. Sure enough, in the northern hemisphere it goes counterclockwise.

EUREKA!!! My first major discovery in Chile - the water flows differently down here. The toilets drain clockwise. (I had my guesses, but I needed to know for sure. I even checked several times!)
I could think of nothing better to begin my year of studying and living it up in Santiago than to understand the physics of the local johns.


And another thing - DAMN THEM FOR THEIR NATIVE ANCESTRY.

I thought that the quick switch from 100 degrees down to 50 degrees here would allow me at least a few days of being one of the darker indivuals. But Irish heritage thwarts me yet again. First as a potato farmer and now by being the whitest white guy down here.
It´s actually very european here, but it´s still frustrating to be near the opaque end of the spectrum.

I meet the rest of the 50-some people in the study abroad group tomorrow because I arrived a few days early. Santiago is wonderful thus far, although I´m not directly in the city center.

5 Comments:

At 3:05 PM, Blogger August Kryger said...

Yo Kit, well, let's hope the toilets are the only thing down there that swirl the wrong way...yeah...I don't really know what that means either. Anyway, I'll be here in the US keeping things strange. Hope you are enjoying it there.
-Augie

 
At 3:30 PM, Blogger Caleb Michael said...

Oh the things you are learning. I am strangely envious (of your location, more than your time spent in the toliet). Still, I look forward to reading more and getting beyond the outhouse observations.

 
At 9:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Kit,
Thinking of you. I don't know if this blog will let me comment, so I'm not writing much.
Love, Terry (De Soto)

 
At 9:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah Ha! It's Terry,
I signed up as anonymous, since I am not registered as a blogger, and it went thru.
So - all I can say about your adventures is Wow! You are the lucky one.
Please be safe, especially in the bars. tee hee
I was telling Jame I hadn't heard from you, and she said I had to go to your blog to read what's up. Duh - I sure didn't know that. Did it, got caught up!
We haven't started to build yet, but soon, very soon.
Love ya, Terry N.

 
At 3:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Kit. Ive been thinking about you lately. Hope your safe, having fun and learning lots! Take care. Love you and miss you tons,
Emily N.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home